Tuesday 8 July 2008

my mother in law from hell!

Ok I am quite new to this and pondering on what I should write about. Well why not slander the one person whose brought so much misery to my life in the last few weeks? Here's a guess
I am legally married (still!) and 5 years on too.....no I am not going to write about my marriage woes .....better.........I am going to let it all out about my Mother in law from hell. You wonder why I pick her.well I am getting tired of complaining about her to all my friends ....I personally think they are too. and to tell you the truth all my friends are obedient,innocent daughter in laws and when I talk to them most of them only come up with ''oh she is your husbands mother please try to make and effort'' and frankly I am tired of hearing this all the time its like me against the whole world!
Well to begin with My MIL has the most angelic face you could ever imagine big beautiful eyes thick eyebrows thick straight jet black hair (I mean even before she started dyeing it)and what's worse, my daughter's got the exact same features (I think god was having a bit of fun at my expense when he created my little one). No that's not why I hate her so much; of course my looks are nothing compared to her but I would like to believe my features arent half as bad (Ok lets not go there today....)
Things got so worse the last few weeks my own parents have now branded her as'' the dowry hunter'' yes It's all about my dowry!! here I am married for five years with the most adorable daughter, making a living for my self (and yes I do earn double what my hubby earns!) so I dont see why she needs to bring up this issue now of all times!! You see, ours was a proposed marriage, ofcourse I had worked with my hubby at one point before we got married but it's still a proposal and being typical sri lankan parents my Ammi dearest had informed the would be in laws about what I would ''inherit'' from them one day. Just two weeks ago MIL sends me an e-mail giving me details of what my parents had promised informing me that traditionally they should have been handed over to her and FIL which made me turn a funny colour! I have never ever felt such hatred towards anyone in my life before and I find it rather hard do deal with this new emotion. I know that parents do give dowries to the new husbands but to the MIL? What the hell for? Is she going to invest my inheritence and give me some sort of return (with capital too,I would like to think so ) one day? I still dont get that concept.........I havent still replied to her e-mail but my mother did! but she is not the type that vents out her frustrations and it was a rather explanatory e-mail believe me I could have done better. I would have been more to the point. I am still pondering on whether I should reply to her and give her my piece of mind but then again I think , will it accomoplish anything? The funny thing is my hubby couldnt care less about my dowry.......but then he chooses to turn a blind eye at all this and refuses to discuss anything to do with his mother (Well I cant blame him for that can I?) Well anyway she is coming here (London) next month with FIL and I'd really like to avoid her like the plague but can I?I know she would want to see her grand daughter and I dont want to get blamed for keeping her way from MIL now would I? why does life have to be so complicated!

4 comments:

Lady divine said...

Hi there! :)
Welcome to the blogger world... hope you get to love it as much as I do..:)

Well with regard to your problem, I certainly am not experienced enough to say anything.. but life sure can be a nasty bastard you know...:(

I sincerely hope everything works out for the best for you and your family..:)

Dee said...

oh my gosh...how archiac!! my sincere sympathese to have to deal with a MIL like that. I really hope u are not living with her as well. if not, at least you have that piece of mind right? :)
hang in there!

~ lo$t $oul ~ said...

Welcome to bloggin.. I'm sure u'd find this place to vent out everythin you got to get outta ur system..

I'd say don give a ear to wht she's got to say.. as long as ur happy with ur man and ur kids.. they happen to be ur family aye??

solutions to ur in-laws comin over - say u've being sent on a company workshop or training and take it as vacation, a lil get away always helps doesnt it??

Single in My Mind said...

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Yes I do think it is kind of therapeutic to let it all off like this;works for me I am in a better mood today!
me and hubby did live with her on and off (we rented out her place when we first moved here) till we bought our own place .I'd really rather not leave my daughter alone with her she spoils her rotten! I am kind of hoping now that they won't want to stay with us afterall -so fingers crossed!
Thanks for all your suggestions-appreciate it!